Alameda in their Sights!

I don’t want to brag about “scooping” people, because I understand that presenting information without reporting and context is really not that impressive, and so I won’t. (it’s non-scoop, scoop).

Target is no longer on the table for Alameda Towne Centre they announced this morning. View the Target letter here.

There had been word of a poll being conducted in Alameda about a month ago, and try as I might, I was unable to unearth who it was that was conducting it. According to Target’s letter, it looks like it was them.

According to Target, 63% of Alamedans supported Target opening a store at Towne Centre, which I have to say jives with my personal assumption on the matter. It also, once again, puts the lie to the idea that just because a group of people continue to show up on an issue and speak with one voice and they are not out-shouted by people with opposing views, they therefore speak for the majority.

The letter makes it clear that Target is looking to come to Alameda. Something that I care very little about on a personal level (I don’t shop there now and I probably won’t shop there in the future). That said, I think probably 75% of Alameda shops there at one time or another, and so as a convenience to residents (as well as capturing additional sales tax dollars) this wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

6 comments for “Alameda in their Sights!

1. dave
    June 27, 2007 at 1:34 pm

It wouldn’t be such a bad thing at all — if it had been done at Bridgeside. The trafic at Southshore would have been nightmarish.

2. John Piziali
    June 27, 2007 at 9:09 pm

Dave I don’t think that it would have fit at Bridgeside as the land area there just wasn’t large enough. Or do you mean as a free standing store and not part of a shopping mall. John P.

3. dave
    June 28, 2007 at 4:02 am

yes, that is what I meant

There is certainly enough land and access at the Harbor Bay Business Park but that is probably too out-of-the-way for Target’s needs. Outside of those two areas, I can’t think of a place in Alameda where a Target would fit

4. John Piziali
    June 28, 2007 at 7:47 am

I don’t shop at Target , so it would not affect me , but I would agree with Dave that there probably isn’t any good location for a Target in Alameda. John P.

5. June 28, 2007 at 10:09 am

I’m so glad.

6. John Piziali
    June 30, 2007 at 10:56 am

You know looking at my last post it would seem that I am against a Target store in Alameda ,I’m not. I just can’t think of a good site at the moment. My mind is more on vacation than anything else. I bet a lot of people would agree with that. I mean I want to go on vacation. John P.